Sunday, March 24, 2013

Winter Running with Goldstream Sports - Gear Girl gives it a go!




                         Gear Girl visits Goldstream Sports
Visit their website


    Icebug running shoes: All grip and no slip
   
      It’s that time of year. The roads and parking lots become obstacle courses of glazed iced making walking, let alone running, feel like you should be suited up in football pads and a helmet.
     My go-to winter running shoe are banished to the closet.  The last time I ran on them, the rubber tread had frozen and when I hit the black ice on Cushman Street I did a Three Stoogesesque slip in front of a row of cars stopped for the light.  I did not slide under a car; everyone got a good laugh, but I was spooked.
     I figured I was doomed to run on a treadmill until the ice melted. Then my favorite running store, Goldstream Sports, gave me a pair of their studded Icebug running shoes to demo. They are a darling fuchsia, water resistant and have 34 small metal studs protruding from their tread.  Goldstream Sports carries several different models.


     I take the Icebug Pythos2 for a spin on my hilliest running route, climbing an icy road up a long steep hill, over some rolling hills on mushing trails and back down on a road covered in hard pack.
    Even the dogs are slipping on the icy road and I slow down to a shuffle in anticipation. No need. The cleats dig into the icy crust covering the snow and I power around the curve. No slip, not a whisper of a slip. I don’t feel the spikes through the shoes and they are as light as my summer running shoes.
     I start down a long hill on black ice, still no skid. It’s hard to get my mind to trust the information coming from my feet and I find myself still holding back. Overriding my survival instinct, I open up my stride and run freely.
     These shoes are hot-pink miracles. I land sure footed with each shoe’s small metal spikes digging into the ice and giving me extra force as I push off. I feel I am running faster now than on bare pavement.  It feels a little naughty---like racing on a bike without a helmet---and I love it.
     By the end of my run, I am convinced that every runner in Fairbanks should own a pair of these.


       Though they are designed for running, I have been wearing them everywhere. I feel invincible in them. I can sprint across any parking lot in town with a latte in hand and remain upright. Thus, I have expanded my initial edict: every person crossing a hard-packed road should own a pair of Icebug shoes.
     Some cautions are due. These are not indoor shoes.  They are slippery on tile, especially any flooring with a gloss to it. Also, they will mark wood floors, so definitely take them off before treading across anyone’s Himalayan cedar planks.
     Also, you aren’t going to sneak up on anyone in a pair of these. On hard surfaces like asphalt, Icebugs make a sound similar to a dog with long toenails clacking across a hardwood floor. I kind of like it.
     Finally, they are on the expensive side.  This pair sells for $165 and they are worth it. Investing in a pair of Icebugs is like buying insurance to keep you safe until the ice melts.  I think of my friend who I saw limping earlier in the week because she slipped during a run and sprained her foot. The first big 5k of the season is only two weeks away and it would be horrible to hurt yourself right before the season. The long days are here and calling us to come outside and run. These will keep you off your fanny.



Goldstream Sports offers free high-tech testing of your running/walking gait
so they can recommend the best shoe for you (the studded shoes will rip up the treadmill, so no video testing for those).

Ben captures video of your run on the treadmill
 with a neutral shoe to observe and analyze your
foot-striking pattern; then again with a recommended shoe
 to keep you running your best, pain and injury free.

Goldstream Sports offers awesome trails for testing out gear
 and for public use 'cause they're awesome!



711 Sheep Creek Road
Fairbanks, Alaska 99709
(907) 455-6520
Mon-Fri: 12-7 * Sat: 10-5 * Sun: Closed







No comments:

Post a Comment